Friday, February 15, 2008

To Wake or Not to Wake

Here is my dilemma: During the night, when one girl wakes, I feed her and then wake the other to feed her. If I don't feed them at the same time, I'm afraid I will be up every hour feeding someone. For example, last night I fed the girls at 10:00 and put them to bed. Jane woke up at 1:30. I fed her and then woke Sydney up. Then, Jane woke at 4:30. I had to wake Sydney again. My question is this: Am I teaching Sydney to wake up through the night? Should I just grin and bear it and let each of them wake on her own? Any advice? Moms? Moms with twins?

3 comments:

Hollie Reese said...

Well, since my kids are such great sleepers I knew you would want my advice..ha ha!
I say give it a night without waking the other and see what happens.

meganmk said...

In order to preserve your sanity as a mother of three very young children, I say wake her up. That's what we did, and neither one developed any habitual waking problems. Aidan slept through around 4 mos, and we forced it on Alanna around 5 mos. Of course, they were full term.

From my experience, you need every ounce of patience and sanity you can get. Sleep deprivation on your part doesn't help. If you're keeping the room dark and not doing any stimulation, she's probably still drowsy and going back to sleep without a problem.

OR...if you are doing any bottle feeding, you and Casey could divide and conquer. We tried this for a little while too. Either swap nights or you each take one baby through the night.

Unknown said...

Hey Hayley! I just found your blog through Julie's and wanted to say congratulations! Your three girls are beautiful, and I think that Clare looks just like you! I have no advice on your sleeping dilemma as I have never had to contend with twins. I am postive you will figure it out though. Can't wait to read more about your three cuties!

~ Kate (Barclay)