Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Biggest Surprise

I am a planner. I like to know what's going on, who's going to be there, and when it is going to start. So when I found out I was pregnant on May 7, 2007, I was thrown for a serious loop. Casey and I had planned on having another baby but not so soon. Clare was only 13 months old! We thought we would wait until she was closer to two before we really started thinking about baby number two.

Back to May 7.... Immediately after discovering I was pregnant, my thoughts went to Clare. I was worried about how she would react. And honestly, I wasn't ready to divide my time between her and another baby. Of course I was excited, but foolishly, I wasn't sure how I could love another baby as much as I loved her.

Casey and I decided that we wouldn't share our news for a little while. I was only four or five weeks pregnant, and we wanted to get used to the idea ourselves before we spread the word. I had a doctor's appointment a few weeks later, and we wanted to wait until we knew everything was OK.

During the next couple of weeks, life continued. I was totally exhausted, but thought that was just the result of being pregnant with a very active toddler nipping at my heels. I was sicker than I was with Clare, but chalked that up to the normal first trimester yuck. My sister-in-law came into town and while she was here, she announced to our family that she and my brother were expecting their first child...my first nephew! Her due date was one week after mine. I was so excited for them, and I became very anxious to share my news.

I had my first doctor's appointment on May 31, 2007, when I was seven weeks pregnant. At first, Casey didn't think he would be able to go with me, but thankfully at the last minute, he was able to meet me. I thought this doctor's appointment would simply consist of a sonogram and a "yes, you are pregnant," from the doctor. I didn't know that the biggest surprise of my life was about to be revealed.

The appointment began with an exam from my doctor and then moved on to a sonogram. I was laying on the ultrasound table and Casey was sitting next to me. The technician squirted that nasty jelly stuff on my belly and began looking around. She was quiet for a while, but I didn't think anything of it. After a couple of minutes or so, she looked up and said, "OK" and then she paused. The pause was long enough for me to start worrying. I thought something was wrong. Finally, she continued with "I see twins."


To be continued......

1 comment:

Julie said...

Is "The Biggest Surprise" going to be "I thought having twins would be a surprise, but I just found out I was pregnant again with triplets!!!"????