Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What I've Learned in Kindergarten...

Clare's kindergarten year is coming to an end.  16 days left according to her.  This year I have learned:
  • It will be just as hard to get my kindergartener out the door in the morning on day 125 as it was on day 25.
  • My heart will fill with pride when Clare gets out of the car, and I overhear many teachers and friends greet her by name.  She is making a name for herself. 
  • The kindergarten year is a remarkable one in terms of learning, both in school and at home.  Among other things, Clare has learned to read, add and subtract, measure things, tie her shoes, and put her hair in a ponytail.
  • There are also things you will wish your child hadn't learned..."I'm Sexy and I Know it," and the f-word, to name a couple. 
  •  Our family will get only what Clare has "left over" after a long day at school.  Sometimes, the behavior at home is atrocious.  I have learned to be thankful for excellent behavior at school.
  • While I acknowledge that Clare has grown a ton in the past year, she is still not quite as big as she thinks she is!
  • I am thrilled when Clare wants to buy her lunch!   One fewer lunch for me to pack!
  • A good teacher can make a child love school.  Clare has been blessed with a great teacher, and without a doubt, it has shaped her positive view of school. 
And finally, I have learned that I am looking forward to summer so I can spend time with my girl who has learned so much herself!


No comments: