Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Case of the Wet Beds

It is 4:30 a.m.  I am asleep again after being up several times with Graham.  I wake up to Sydney's crying.  This is strange because Jane and Syd NEVER wake up in the middle of the night.  Clare, yes, but Jane and Sydney, no.  

Sydney comes into our bedroom and I see that Clare is trailing behind her.  
"What's wrong?"  I ask.  
"My diaper leaked.  My bed is wet."  sobbed Sydney.
"OK.  We can fix that.  Clare, why are you up?" 
"Because Sydney came and woke me up to tell me that her bed was wet."  Clare sleepily answers.


Lovely.
So, we head upstairs to remedy this early morning situation.  I decide just to put Sydney in the pack 'n play that we have set up in another room.  I sneak into Jane and Syd's room, thinking that Jane is still asleep, to get Syd some dry pajamas.

I hear a little voice.
"My bed is wet too."  
"Your diaper leaked too?"  I ask Jane incredulously.
"Yes."

I am suspicious.  What are the odds that both girls' diapers leaked on the same night?  I tell Jane to get out of bed and I see that SHE DOESN'T HAVE A DIAPER ON!  I look around and see two dry diapers that have been removed laying on the floor.  Apparently, these two thought it would be a good idea to take their diapers off before they fell asleep last night.

"Jane, did you take your diaper off before you fell asleep?
"Yes."
"Why would you do that?"  I question.
"Because Sydney told me to."  she answers confidently.

Oh dear.  
If "because Sydney told me to" is reason enough to do something, we are in a world of hurt.

So to sum up the night, we had two wet beds, three alert children, and one sweet baby boy who would be awake again any minute.

3 comments:

angie said...

This makes me laugh!!! I love all of those little hineys.

Deedee said...

And so it begins ....... !

Julie said...

Those stinkers!!