Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

One of my biggest misconceptions about parenting had to do with sleep. I mistakenly thought that once I got my baby sleeping through the night, I was golden. WRONG! Sure, for the time being that was great, but I have learned since Clare was born is that sleep issues are pretty pervasive throughout the preschool years. We have dealt with/are still dealing with stalling at bedtime, waking up in the night, bad dreams (last night about a gorilla), climbing out of cribs, and dropping naps. It is a regular occurrence at our house to be changing bedtimes, changing nap times, and adjusting wake-up times.

Jane and Sydney are currently on a good schedule. They take an afternoon nap for about one and a half to two hours. They go to bed around 8:00 and sleep until around 8:00 in the morning...sometimes later. I can't complain. They are both still in cribs, but while we are enjoying this great sleeping schedule, I am hesitant to move them to beds. Why fix it if it ain't broke?


Clare is giving up her afternoon nap. Granted, she is four years old, so I know it is time. She really does fine without it for a day or two, but after several days, the fatigue sets in. Just today, I set her up for rest time, and when I went to check on her, she had fallen asleep on my bed. I guess she will sleep when she needs to! The beauty of the no-nap day reveals itself at bedtime, when there are no "peeps" from upstairs. Clare is usually so tired, she conks out as soon as her head hits the pillow!

The $1,000,000 question is how to get her take a nap on Sunday afternoon? I must have my Sunday afternoon nap!!!

2 comments:

Deedee said...

You can always drop her/them off at our house EVERY Sunday !!!! :-)

What a precious picture. Nothing more peaceful than a sleeping child.

Hilary said...

benadryl!